Saturday, December 6, 2014

Movie List - Birdman

Now, full disclosure, I saw Birdman on a quiet Monday night at my local indie movie theater.  It was the first time ever being there, and it was awesome.  Calm, quaint, and well curated with some of the best films getting small releases.  It was literally perfect for me.  The reason I mention it, is that this warm fuzzy feeling of nostalgia for a place I was seeing for the first time may have influenced my opinion of Birdman.  That said, let me tell you about it.

The film opens, and you're immediately hit with the weird altered reality that this film exists in.  A one in which you hear the inside of Michael Keaton as Riggan Thompson's head as he floats about three feet above the ground in his tighty-whitey's.  From this relative serenity you're launched headfirst into the film, which moves at an astounding pace and never really lets up.

There are a few major aspects of Birdman that set it apart and that I'm still thinking about now.  The first is just the technical mastery that went into making this film work in the way that Alejandro González Iñárritu chose to shoot it.  The film essentially bolts you into this omnipotent steadicam that floats and flies and bounces through the movie's only locale - the St. James Theater in NYC.  The resulting effect is this feeling that every scene is happening real time, even though it is not, and time passes exponentially in between scenes throughout the film.  Because the film is formatted like one single cut, you get the feeling that you are actually watching a live production.  You can feel the buzz and energy of a play both during scenes on the boards of the St. James and behind the scenes in the dressing rooms and out on the streets of Manhattan.  I loved it, and it makes the movie an important one to watch.

The nature of Riggan's supernatural abilities is something that is constantly questioned throughout the film.  Scenes that showcase his 'powers' are always concurrent with the audience hearing the inside of his head.  The reality of the scene is broken, and you're left wondering when to believe.  I loved questioning this, and if you're like me, you probably will through the end.

Finally I just want to mention that the performances in this movie are wonderful.  Keaton reminded me just how much I love him.  Edward Norton absolutely killed it.  Naomi Watts was brilliant.  Emma Stone, who isn't necessarily my favorite for a more serious role like this one, was wonderful. Zach
Galifianakis was, well he was himself, but he was hilarious and I loved it.  Honestly the screen was filled with talent the entire film.

Overall, Birdman is one of my favorites so far of the year.  It has flaws, and it's not going to make you walk out feeling drastically different, but it's an excellent dark comedy executed brilliantly.  Put it on your list.

No comments:

Post a Comment