Friday, December 12, 2014

ASUS ZenWatch Review

Here's Engadget's review of the ASUS ZenWatch, one of the most stylish Android Wear devices released to date:

ASUS ZenWatch Review - Engadget

I'm kind of on the sidelines of the wearables discussion because I've chosen not to buy into them yet.  To me each outing of new hardware never dares to be anything more, and the limitations of the software and hardware of this form factor are very apparent and limiting.  Even the glitzy announcement of the Apple Watch wasn't all that impressive when you looked at what we're getting.

But, if you're dying to be an early adopter, the ZenWatch surely is one of your best bets right now.  Only the Moto 360 took a real approach to style otherwise, and still suffered due to what was capable.  I would not mind wearing this on my wrist every day.

Just as a side note - I think part of the issue here too is that $300 for a watch is a decent price if you're buying quality because it lasts forever.  Not true with a smartwatch, which I predict won't be desirable to keep much longer than your typical smartphone refresh cycle.  I'm sure that's what the companies making these watches intend, and at some point that might be worth the investment, but with the current state of affairs in the smartphone business I'm far from convinced.

No comments:

Post a Comment