Friday, December 5, 2014

I'm A Real Computer Scientist Now - Unicomp Ultra Classic Review

The IBM Model M keyboard is a true classic.  A landmark in computing hardware.  A mainstay in nerd culture.  A truly beautiful peripheral.  And now it's mine!  Well - sorta.

I just bought a Unicomp Ultra Classic Keyboard in Brilliant White, the first upgrade I've made to the PC I built for myself two years ago - safe to say it's a long time coming.  I've been mulling over the possibility of upgrading my keyboard and mouse (that upgrade still pending) since I put my rig together; of course opting to buy the cheapest peripherals available to bring the overall cost of my PC down.  I've researched and debated over a stylish wireless chicklet keyboard, all forms of Cherry MX keyboard switches, etc.  Price, reviews, style, so many things to consider...

There only ever seemed to be one keyboard that left the same great impression on all of its users.  One golden standard for what this peripheral could be.  The IBM Model M.

I could type for hours (literally, this bad boy is great) but The Verge's Adi Robertson put together this incredible article about the Model M and it's history.  One of the driving forces behind me deciding to go with the Ultra Classic from Unicomp.

So, how is it?


I've been typing on this keyboard for a few hours now.  I love it.  Going from my old standard Logitech rubber dome (see below) to this is so refreshing.  Before you even hit the action on the keys it's already more comfortable.  Each key cradles your fingers , awaiting your input.


The switching is loud, deliberate, and responsive.  Compared to certain Cherry MX switches the feedback isn't as immediate.  You still are pushing each key to a hard audible click before feedback and if you're not used to the force required sometimes keys will be missed.  I find I struggle the most hitting the farther keys like Backspace just because the angle and distance that you're reaching from.  I'm beginning to type differently already though.  Instead of resting my hands limply in front of the keys I'm floating higher above the taller keys, already making me more swift and deliberate in my typing.

My only complaint would be that the feedback and key positioning doesn't really lend itself to gaming.  I think it'll be somewhat of an upgrade from my Logitech, but it's no gaming keyboard.  It was never meant to be.  The Model M was meant for typing.  It does its job.

Now, STYLE.  The original Model M in its humble, dull grey casing and keys, isn't the most beautiful thing.  It's functional, practical, but not beautiful.  The Ultra Classic black however is much more exciting.  The contrast between the keys and casing really make them pop.  Of course, the standard grey keys of the Black Ultra Classic weren't enough, so I had to upgrade to the Brilliant White keys.  It was an excellent decision.  The keys truly are brilliant white.  On my black-brown Ikea desk in the midst of my black monitors, speakers, mouse, and the like - they appear to be hovering brightly in space.


I feel I got the best of both worlds.  I have the substance and engineering of the original Model M with updated electronics and aesthetics.  I can't wait to bash this thing until it finally dies, which if it's anything like the original, will hopefully be not for a very, very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment